Revealed on July 28th, 2019 |
by Daryl Elliott
July 28th, 2019 by Daryl Elliott
Does anybody from the general public actually know? This text explores one potential consequence.
In Matt Ferrell’s Tesla and Maxwell Applied sciences video, he features a latest quote from Elon Musk: “I imply, you’re actually asking some tremendous secret sauce questions [about the future of the Tesla batteries] right here. Yeah, I believe we’ll have — I believe we’ll in all probability have an Investor Day, like we have now an Autonomy Day, perhaps later this yr or early subsequent simply to go over the cell and battery know-how and future technique. And I believe that shall be very informative, however we do acknowledge the criticality of this.”
How a lot secret sauce is there, and the way far will it advance electrical car battery know-how? The next is a potential state of affairs. The important thing primary level of this chance is that supercaps may be charged extremely quick, and might discharge quick or slowly.
1. A Tesla car is charged at a model three Supercharger.
2. The Tesla has each supercapacitors (supercaps) and common batteries onboard. It’s a hybrid of two electrical car power storage varieties. There could must be a couple of supercap since two features are required from the supercaps at one time (extra on that in merchandise #6).
three. The cost solely goes into the supercap(s) as a result of supercaps can obtain the cost extremely shortly.
four. The motive force drives off after a 5 minute cost (or faster) that totally expenses the supercaps.
5. If this state of affairs had been to return to move, the fuel/diesel refueling time would have been met or bettered by an EV for the primary time ever.
6. The supercaps are used for driving energy for the following 15+ minutes whereas the supercaps are concurrently charging the common (2170) batteries contained in the automobile whereas the automobile is shifting. After that point, the automobile is powered by the common batteries whereas the charging continues from the supercaps to the common battery packs.
7. In nonetheless lengthy it takes to completely cost the common batteries, say 45 minutes, the common batteries are totally charged so the Tesla car can now drive for 300+ extra miles (483 km), and the supercaps additionally nonetheless have some cost remaining (for fast accelerations if wanted).
This speculative state of affairs is likely to be one huge motive why Tesla purchased Maxwell Applied sciences. Or it won’t.
Associated: “Interview With Maxwell Technologies: Ultracapacitor-based Energy Storage System” (2013).
Later in Matt Ferrell’s video, Elon discusses one very huge know-how change that includes the Maxwell tech: “The brand new battery pack, that may in all probability go into manufacturing subsequent yr, is designed particularly for one million miles of operation.” That actually signifies a considerably completely different and improved pack. Nonetheless, past this notice, we don’t have clear perception into what’s altering.
What are your ideas? Do you assume it’s potential? Remark beneath what you consider this state of affairs.